Monday, May 13, 2013

Purple Nails for World Lupus Awareness Month

Friday was World Lupus Awareness Day and to commemorate this, with others, I am sporting some purple nails. It may seem like nothing, "oh big deal, purple nails can't fix anything." But they can definitely spread awareness about a disease that isn't so familiar to the public.

You can educate yourself by heading over to the World Lupus Day website to read more. Jen from My Nail Polish Obsession picked out a great paragraph about the illness, so I figured I would do the same:  "Lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body (skin, joints, and/or organs inside the body). Chronic means that the signs and symptoms tend to last longer than six weeks and often for many years. In lupus, something goes wrong with your immune system, which is the part of the body that fights off viruses, bacteria, and germs ("foreign invaders," like the flu). Normally our immune system produces proteins called antibodies that protect the body from these invaders. Autoimmune means your immune system cannot tell the difference between these foreign invaders and your body’s healthy tissues ("auto" means "self") and creates autoantibodies that attack and destroy healthy tissue. These autoantibodies cause inflammation, pain, and damage in various parts of the body.  Every day, more than 5 million people worldwide struggle with the often debilitating health consequences of lupus, a potentially fatal autoimmune disease capable of damaging virtually any part of the body, including the skin, heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain."  The Lupus Foundation of America website is also a great site full of resources and information.

Unfortunately, I was running low on time and left my dotting tools and striping brushes elsewhere, so I couldn't do any beautiful butterflies, which are the official symbol of Lupus. I created this mani with two coats of Illamasqua Poke. Then I added a diagonal of Ulta Purplexed. Lastly, I used Milani Hi-Res to separate the purples. I love doing this look. It's easy, fast, and visually interesting. I lost the sun so the colors aren't 100% accurate. At the end of the post, make sure you check out other bloggers who are also supporting World Lupus Awareness Month!   




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! But please do not post any links in your comment as it will be automatically deleted. If you would like me to look at your site, please E-MAIL me. Thank you!!